Saturday, February 27, 2016

New Book, Website, and Articles


Happy 2016 everyone!  It had been over a year since I sent out a newsletter, and as one of my wonderful clients reminded me, not everyone is on Facebook or Twitter. I truly apologize for dropping the ball!  I'm reposting here in the event you missed my latest updates online or in your inbox.  As always, please don't hesitate to reach out, let me know how you're doing, and share how I can help to support you in all things Voice and Self-Expression! (And if you'd like to sign up for my newsletter, Click Here.  I promise to keep you updated on a more regular basis!) 


My New Book!

FINALLY!  My next installment for Hal Leonard Publishing will be out by May 15! The Art of Singing Onstage and in the Studio has been a true labor of love, and I'm thrilled to get it into your hands and to hear your thoughts. My dear friend Rachel Kice has painted the cover (the amazing Randy Hasson did the artwork for AOS) and it's an honor once again to combine a friend's artistry and art with my words.  

Here's the publishers blurb about the book: 

To be a great singer, talent and technique are obviously important, as are having excellent songs and being able to move an audience. But there's more to it than that, including two critical skills that are rarely, if ever, addressed in vocal training: managing the technology on stage and in the studio, and interacting with the people who run it. No matter how fantastic your voice is or how much money is behind you, if you don't know how to work with performing and recording technology, you're in for a tough ride. Countless phenomenal singers stagnate professionally and even leave the business because they can't figure out how to deliver when using studio headphones and stage monitors, or how to communicate their needs to producers and engineers. And many less-capable singers get ahead because they can. The Art of Singing Onstage and in the Studio is the only book that comprehensively addresses these critical issues in an easy-to-read, accessible style. Starting with a discussion of the evolution of technology and the voice in our culture, it also explores the root causes of anxiety-related performance issues and, more importantly, how to overcome them. Singers, performers, producers, and engineers will all come away from this book more knowledgeable about the origins of their fields, empowered in the tools of their trade, and clearer on how to best communicate with one another.


Website Overhaul! 

Now that the book is done, I'm getting ready to redo my website, with the main goal that it be in greater service to YOU with exercises, online courses, packages and programs, and more master classes and workshops here on the east coast and around the country and world. I would LOVE to hear about the kinds of content you're looking for, as well as any ideas or thoughts you all might have about how I can best support you, singers, speakers, and others looking to find your voices. Just reply to this email or reach out to me on Facebook or Twitter. I'm all ears!  


My Latest Articles

As you know, discovering your voice involves discovering YOU.  As such, my articles have always run the gamut topic-wise… I hope some of them will hit the mark in terms of what you're dealing with and what you need. 

Psychology Today

Making the Choice to Care: Self-sacrifice and self-fulfillment need not be opposites.  In the right frame of mind, they become one and the same, and a gateway to a life truly well lived.  

The Importance of RestGetting adequate rest has become a priority in our household. Because without proper sleep, we are unable to be our best in our work, for each other, and most importantly, for our precious son.

The Gift of Acceptance: Accepting what has happened in the past is the key to peace of mind and success in every area of our lives. Unfortunately, many of us refuse to do so.

ForgivenessRefusing to forgive someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick.



The Huffington Post

Being Mindful Versus Being Careful: I recently read an article in Business Insider about how often women overuse the word 'just'. In it, the author points out that it has become a 'permission word' that dilutes our message and weakens us when we speak. I've certainly found this to be the case: not...

My Secret to Losing 20 Pounds: Five months ago, my husband and I made a decision to lose 20 pounds in 20 weeks. For both of us, having a child had taken its toll. We were beyond pretending that the dryer was shrinking all of our clothes... beyond kidding ourselves that the camera was being enormously...

To Your HealthPatient: "Doctor, I don't feel well, and I'm not sure why."  Doctor: "I want you to meditate for 20 minutes twice a day, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, avoid processed foods, eat plenty of organic fruits and vegetables, spend more time in nature and less indoors...


Seeing the Unseen:   We recently relocated to the Washington, D.C. area and are still in the process of getting settled in– a process that takes a bit longer with a 15-month-old running around. We therefore welcomed a neighbor's recommendation of two women who have been cleaning and organizing his home for years... 


From My Blog

On one level, singers are master preparers. A tremendous amount of time is spent training and practicing, and in the case of many recording artists, songwriting as well. In fact, singers are often virtually non-stop in their physical and mental preparation for success, whether or not any performance or recording dates are on the imminent horizon...


Janelle Laarakker from VibrantVocals.com recently reached out to me with some thought-provoking questions about how we can best find vocal strength, ease, and freedom.  I loved our conversation, and hope you find my answers helpful. As always, feel free to share your thoughts!


"I expected something powerful from you, but I was really taken by the beauty of what you wrote. Thanks for letting me throw a haystack at you so you could sift through it. I completely agree that some of my personal issues are affecting my singing. I hadn't put that together before. I was looking strictly at my singing experiences for clues while I probably would have been better off looking more holistically at things. I loved your letter and I think that it is full of the right kind of keys to unlock this reserved demeanor that has taken over me."




The Art of Singing




Thanks to all of you, The Art of Singing continues to be a Hal Leonard Bestseller!  What's more, I just learned that AOS is now required reading at Clemson University and Anderson University, and has just been added to the bookstore of NAMM's Museum of Making Music, alongside incredible authors (and friends) Dan Levitin and Victor Wooten!  Thanks so much for all of your feedback, and for continuing to share the good word!


And Last but NOT Least. . . 

My most important creation. . . :) 

Thank you all so much for continuing to ask about (not so little!) Lucas.  He's now 2 and a half, and just incredible (she says, gushing!) I had no way of knowing what this journey of motherhood would entail, but it has indeed been a wild, wonderful ride that I wouldn't trade for the world.  

Here's John, Lucas and me recently enjoying some SERIOUS snow! 




As always, much love and Happy Singing!
Jennifer
www.JenniferHamady.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home